Managing a Fashion Business by CompanyGame
This course makes you job-ready to start or progress a career managing and expanding fashion business, overseeing production, distribution and branding
- Duration: 4 weeks • Total asynchronous time 40 hours (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time with tutor 4 hours
- 100% Online
- Level: Intermediate
- Language: English
- Certificate: Micro-credential
- The synchronous sessions will have a max of 3 participants
This course is intended to be a quick and useful experience in developing industry-specific and job-relevant knowledge about operating in the fashion manufacturing and retail industry. The course is organized in asynchronous and synchronous sessions for 4 weeks beginning in the first week of each month. In a nutshell, the course is organized as follows:
- You will have from the start access to an online computer simulation with a login and password, on which you will be managing a producer and retailer in the fashion industry, gradually evolving from the start-up phase to national expansion (the login and password will remain active for 1 month after the course ends).
- Each week new theoretical concepts will be introduced to you in a live session with the author, following which the materials will be made available for self-study. The live sessions will be via Zoom.
- You can explore the theoretical concepts explained each week to you, by using the simulation. You will be making business decisions in the simulation and getting immediate results related to your business's performance and the response from your competitors. Therefore, you will be able to test and see in practical terms how your decisions impact the performance of the retail network.
- The concepts will be gradually explained to you each after week and you can decide to wait for each week before exploring the simulation further or, on the other hand, you can explore it and play at your own pace.
The result is an immersive learning experience whereby you will acquire and develop knowledge through lie sessions and self-study, whilst having the opportunity to test that knowledge in real-time making real business decisions in a simulated environment. Moreover, you will also have access to the instructor and benefit from his insights and expertise in the first person.
This course is based on the simulation software Corbatul developed by Company Game.
What you'll learn
- How to set up and grow a fashion production, distribution operation, and branding strategy
- Identify the key drivers of demand and consumer behaviour and preferences
- Understand the key steps in entering and growing on the market in a highly competitive industry
- Define a strategy to gain a competitive advantage on the market whilst achieving superior performance and growth
- Manage the intricate relationships between different functional areas across a retail operation such as product portfolio, marketing and sales, operation, stocks, customer service, after-sales service, and finance.
- Identify the resources available and select those appropriate to support the business at the different stages of growth
- Identify the critical KPI’s to drive the growth of the business
How this course can propel your career and salary in fashion management
The key advantage of the course is that it gives you access to experience and understand the global picture in the fashion industry. Most employers claim that their employees do not have a global perspective and understanding of the business, and that limits immensely their opportunities for development and progression, not to mention it poses a serious barrier for the growth and sustainability of their businesses.
Therefore, gaining a global understanding of how a business works is vital to allow you to enter and progress in this industry. Check out a recent report from McKinsey and Co about the challenges faced by the fashion industry - for which you must be prepared - here.
Now imagine that as a starting point when entering the job market you can already demonstrate to your employer that you thoroughly understand from theory and practice how the industry operates. That puts you in the spotlight right from the start to grow and develop a career in a fast-changing and highly competitive environment!
Still in doubt?
Here are some examples about the salaries in the fashion retail industry, to demonstrate how important it is to get the right skill set for the job (Data from Glassdoor.co.uk, last updated May 2021):
- Marketing Manager £46,000 / yr
- Retail Manager £50,000 / yr
- Shop Manager £28,000 / yr
No specific requirements, but an understanding of general concepts related to business and management (obtained either by a degree or practical experience) are welcome.
Who this course is for
- Graduates or anyone willing to start a career in the fashion business and retail
- Professionals working in the industry who want to gain a better understanding of how it functions as a whole
- Managers wishing to gain an in-depth understanding of how the business decisions impact their business, to ensure greater sustainability and growth
4 weeks • 15 sections • 30 lectures • Total asynchronous time 40 hours, of which about 32 hours of gameplay (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time 4 hours
Section 1: Introduction to the course, understanding the competitive landscape (45 mins)
Section 2: Understand the market needs and consumer preferences
Section 3: Define a competitive portfolio of product offers to meet the consumer needs and beat the competition
Section 4: Plan the business model with the resources available to grow the business
Section 5: Identify the key areas of decision making in a retail operation at local, regional, and national levels (45 mins)
Section 6: Create and improve the offer based on systematic market research
Section 7: Define the brand and market strategies and mix for the portfolio of products
Section 8: Achieve operational efficiency and customer excellence (45 mins)
Section 9: Manage the resources needed to grow the business in terms of inventory, marketing, sales and customer service
Section 10: Source the adequate resources and funds to make the business grow
Section 11: Turnaround strategies – how to get the business back on track in crisis scenario (45 minutes)
Section 12: Identify the key solutions to turn around a business in the context of crisis managing, provoked by adverse internal or external circumstances, or a combination of both
Section 13: Appraise the alternatives for a business from a cost vs benefit perspective, by making decisions based on different scenarios
Section 14: Final assessment
Live/synchronous – Friday at 12 noon UK time
Section 15: Final feedback (45 mins)
Don't worry, you will not be left alone in your learning journey. Apart from the live sessions, our helpline to sort out any technical questions is available 24/7 during the access to the online simulation and until completion of the final assessment, so you will get all the help that you need.
Prove you're ready!
- Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a digital micro-credential.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
The course starts at the beginning of each month. You will be automatically enrolled on the course starting the first week of the next month. Rescheduling is possible subject to availability.