Entrepreneurial Finance by StartupFinance
Learn about starting and growing a business venture from a financial perspective
- Duration: 4 weeks • Total asynchronous time 42 hours (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time with tutor 4 hours
- 100% Online
- Level: Beginners
- Language: English
- Certificate: Micro-credential
- Learn with the author in live masterclasses
- The synchronous sessions will have a max of 3 participants
This course is intended to be a quick and useful guide to analyze and make decisions concerning the finance aspects of any business venture. You will acquire and develop knowledge through live sessions and self-study, whilst having the opportunity to test it by making real business decisions in a simulated environment. You will also have access to the author of the course and benefit from his insights and expertise in the first person.
It is organized in asynchronous and synchronous sessions during 4 weeks beginning in the first week of each month. In a nutshell, the course is organized as follows:
- You will have from the start access to an online computer simulation with a login and password. The simulation will place you in charge of a business and making financial decisions. The login and password will remain active for 1 month after the course ends.
- Each week new theoretical concepts will be introduced to you in a live session with the author, following which the materials will be made available for self-study. The live sessions will be via Zoom.
- You can explore in-depth the theoretical concepts in the business simulation by making financial decisions and getting immediate results related to your business's performance. Therefore, you will be able to test and see in practical terms how your financial decisions impact the performance of the business.
- You can decide to wait for each week before exploring the simulation further or, on the other hand, you can explore it and play at your own pace.
This course is based on the book authored by Nuno Arroteia and delivered by StartupFinance using thesimulation software developed by Company Game.
By taking this course you will also have the opportunity to interact with the author in one live masterclass!
What you'll learn
- Identify the importance of finance to start and grow a business venture
- Understand how financing a business venture works through the different stages of growth
- Understand the principles of business feasibility and profitability
- Define a business model that is sustainable and adapts to the business growth from a financial standpoint
- Identify the funds available and select those appropriate to support the business at the different stages of growth
- Identify the critical KPI’s to drive the growth of the business
- Critically appraise the alternatives to invest or not in the business
How this course will impact your professional development
Although this course is not primarily aimed at teaching accounting and/or finance, the skills you will acquire may also help you if you are or plan to enter that career path. We have mapped the skills that you will acquire in this course against those required for a career as a Chartered Accountant and Financial Manager by www.prospects.ac.uk (May 2021):
- general business interest and awareness
- organizational and time management skills
- an analytical approach to work
- IT proficiency
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- high numeracy and sound technical skills
- strong attention to detail and an investigative nature
- the capacity to make quick but rational decisions
An understanding of general concepts related to business and management, obtained either by a degree or practical experience is recommended.
Who this course is for
- Entrepreneurs planning to start or grow a business and who want to gain an in-depth understanding of managing a business from the financial perspective.
- Project managers who want to understand better the financial implications of managing a project.
- Managers wishing to gain an in-depth understanding of how business decisions impact the financials of the business.
- Anyone interested to pursue a career in accounting and/or finance who wants to gain practical knowledge of how to use accounting and financial information to manage a business.
4 weeks • 15 sections • 30 lectures • Total asynchronous time 42 hours, of which about 32 hours of gameplay (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time 4 hours
Section 1: Introduction to the course, the entrepreneurial finance process, and the different stages of growth of an entrepreneurial venture (45 mins)
Section 2: Financing the entrepreneurial business
Section 3: Understanding Costs, Revenues and Margins
Section 5: Testing the business feasibility: Break-Even Analysis (45 mins)
Section 6: Forecasting sales
Section 7: Researching the competition and the market
Section 8: Understanding the impacts of financial decisions in a business (45 mins)
Section 9: Building a budget – OPEX and CAPEX - production budget, purchase budget, and other direct costs
Section 10: Understanding cash flows, profit and loss statements, and the balance sheet
Section 11: KPIs to assess value creation (45 minutes)
Section 12: Identifying sources of funds and the life cycle of the business
Section 13: Appraising the alternatives to investing or not in a business from a financial perspective
Section 14: Final assessment
Live/synchronous – Friday
Section 15: Final feedback (45 mins)
Don't worry, you will not be left alone in your learning journey. Apart from the live sessions, our helpline to sort out any technical questions is available 24/7 during the access to the online simulation and until completion of the final assessment, so you will get all the help that you need.
Prove you're ready!
- Highlight the new, relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a digital micro-credential.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress stakeholders with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
The course starts at the beginning of each month. You will be automatically enrolled on the course starting the first week of the next month. Rescheduling is possible subject to availability.