Critical Project Management by SimulationPL
This course makes you job-ready to manage a project in a technology-based company.
- Duration: 4 weeks • Total asynchronous time 30 hours (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time with tutor 4 hours
- 100% Online
- Level: Intermediate
- Language: English
- Certificate: Micro-credential
- The synchronous sessions will have a max of 3 participants
This course is intended to make you learn what managing a critical project is like as you make real-time decisions. You will be managing a project to build an eCommerce portal for a growing company.
Starting with a project charter and work breakdown structure, you will select your team members, plan work breakdown structure, understand network diagrams, create a risk management plan, build out a stakeholder communications plan, and determine ways to motivate your team.
As you execute the project, you will be able to track your team performance via tools like the Gantt chart, budget reports, quality charts and earned value.
The course is organized in asynchronous and synchronous sessions for 4 weeks beginning in the first week of each month. In a nutshell, the course is organized as follows:
- You will have from the start access to an online computer simulation with a login and password, on which you will be managing a software and hardware manufacturer. The login and password will remain active for 1 month after the course ends.
- Each week new theoretical concepts will be introduced to you in a live session with the instructor, following which the materials will be made available for self-study. The live sessions will be via Zoom.
- You can explore the theoretical concepts explained each week to you, by using the simulation. You will be making decisions in the simulation and getting immediate results related to your project's performance and the response from your team.
This course is delivered and based on the simulation software SimProject developed by SimulationPL.
What you'll learn
- Recognize the trade-offs between schedule, cost and quality while planning and executing a project
- Associate how team morale, project quality and productivity are impacted by a project manager’s decisions
- Evaluate how to respond to unexpected events during project execution
- Discover how poor resource and quality management impact project outcomes
- Identify the resources available and select those appropriate to support the business at the different stages of growth
- Identify the critical KPI’s to drive the effective and efficient delivery of a tech-based project
How this course can propel your career in a technology sector
The key advantage of the course is that it gives you access to experience and understand the global picture of how a project is managed in a tech-intensive businesses.
Most employers nowadays claim that their employees do not have a global perspective and understanding about the business, and that limits immensely their opportunities for development and progression.
Check out a recent report from McKinsey and Co about the challenges faced by the industry - which will be also your challenges - here.
Now imagine that as a starting point when entering the job market you can already demonstrate to your employer that you thoroughly understand from theory and practice how the industry operates, specifically how to manage projects in a highly complex and fast-changing environment. That puts you in the spotlight right from the start to grow and develop your career!
The skills you will acquire may also help you if you are or plan to enter a career path in overseeing a tech business at the startup or growth stages. We have mapped the skills that you will acquire in this course against those employed by the Chartered Management Insitute (UK) to assess the extent of one's management responsibilities and experience when applying to becoming Chartered Manager (May 2021):
- taking responsibility for your own professional development and record your continuing professional development (CPD)
- reflective learning from managerial experience
- experience developing and implementing strategic and operational plans
- consistency in meeting the performance targets
- manage processes for identifying and implementing innovations
- responsibility for a budget
- plan resource requirements in light of targets and objectives
An understanding of general concepts related to business and management, obtained either by a degree or practical experience is recommended.
Who this course is for
- Graduates or anyone willing to start a career in project management
- Professionals working in the industry who want to gain a better understanding of what it entails to manage a tech project
- Managers wishing to gain an in-depth understanding of how the project management decisions impact their businesses
4 weeks • 15 sections • 30 lectures • Total asynchronous time 30 hours, of which about 16 hours of gameplay (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time 4 hours
Section 1: Introduction to the course, understanding the key challenges in technology-intensive businesses globally (45 mins)
Section 2: Understand the trade-offs between schedule, cost and quality, while planning and executing a project
Section 3: Define a range of Key Performance Indicators to manage the project effectively and efficiently
Section 4: Plan the project using frequent techniques such as a Gantt chart
Section 5: Identify the key areas of decision making in managing a tech project (45 mins)
Section 6: Associate how team morale, project quality, and productivity are impacted by a project manager's decisions
Section 7: Define the strategies to deal with unexpected events amid the course of a project
Section 8: Achieve operational efficiency and excellence whilst managing a project (45 mins)
Section 9: Manage the resources needed to successfully deliver the project
Section 10: Source the adequate resources and funds to deliver the project whilst focusing on its financial returns
Section 11: Turnaround strategies – how to get the project back on track in crisis scenario (45 minutes)
Section 12: Identify the key solutions to turn around a project in the context of crisis managing, provoked by adverse internal or external circumstances, or a combination of both
Section 13: Appraise the alternatives for managing a project from a cost vs benefit perspective, by making decisions based on different scenarios
Section 14: Final assessment
Live/synchronous – Friday
Section 15: Final feedback (45 mins)
Don't worry, you will not be left alone in your learning journey. Apart from the live sessions, our helpline to sort out any technical questions is available 24/7 during the access to the online simulation and until completion of the final assessment, so you will get all the help that you need.
Prove you're ready!
- Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a digital micro-credential.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
The course starts at the beginning of each month. You will be automatically enrolled on the course starting the first week of the next month. Rescheduling is possible subject to availability.
|Available as Self-study only||
Also available as self-study only. This means that you will not have the live sessions with tutors and will be learning at your own pace.
You will have access to interact and learn with the simulation for 60 days. You can decide to take a quiz to be assessed, upon successful completion you will receive your micro-credential.