Accounting and Finance for beginners by CompanyGame
Leverage your job-related knowledge and enhance your employability if you are in or aspire a career in accounting or finance
- Duration: 4 weeks • Total asynchronous time 25 hours (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time with tutor 4 hours
- 100% Online
- Level: Beginners
- Language: English
- Certificate: Micro-credential
- The synchronous sessions will have a max of 3 participants
This accounting and finance course is intended to be a quick and useful guide to analyze and make decisions concerning the financial aspects of a business. You will acquire and develop knowledge through live sessions and self-study, whilst having the opportunity to test it by making real business decisions in a simulated environment. You will also have access to the author of the course and benefit from his insights and expertise in the first person.
It is organized in asynchronous and synchronous sessions during 4 weeks beginning in the first week of each month:
- You will have from the start access to an online computer simulation with a login and password. The simulation will place you in charge of a business and making financial decisions. The login and password will remain active for 1 month after the course ends.
- Each week new theoretical concepts will be introduced to you in a live session with the author, following which the materials will be made available for self-study. The live sessions will be via Zoom.
- You can explore in-depth the theoretical concepts in the business simulation by making financial decisions and getting immediate results related to your business's performance. Therefore, you will be able to test and see in practical terms how your financial decisions impact the performance of the business.
- You can decide to wait for each week before exploring the simulation further or, on the other hand, you can explore it and play at your own pace.
This course is delivered and based on a business simulation Corbatul developed by CompanyGame.
What you'll learn
- Identify the importance of finance to manage a business
- Understand how financial decisions impact a business through the different stages of growth
- Understand the principles of business feasibility and profitability from a financial perspective
- Identify the funds available and select those appropriate to support the business at the different stages of growth
- Identify the critical KPI’s to drive the growth of the business from a financial standpoint
- Critically appraise the alternatives when making financial decisions that affect a business
How this course can propel your career and salary in accounting and finance
The skills you will acquire may also help you if you are or plan to enter that career path. We have mapped the skills that you will acquire in this course against those required for a career as a Chartered Accountant and Financial Manager by www.prospects.ac.uk (May 2021):
- general business interest and awareness
- organizational and time management skills
- an analytical approach to work
- IT proficiency
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- high numeracy and sound technical skills
- strong attention to detail and an investigative nature
- the capacity to make quick but rational decisions
An understanding of general concepts related to business and management, obtained either by a degree or practical experience is recommended.
Who this course is for
- Aspiring Accountants, Management Accountants or Finance Managers who want to get a grasp of the concepts and imp[lications when making financial decisions in a business context.
- Project managers who want to understand better the financial implications of managing a project.
- Managers wishing to gain an in-depth understanding of how business decisions impact the financials of the business.
- Entrepreneurs planning to start or grow a business and who want to gain an in-depth understanding of managing a business from the financial perspective.
4 weeks • 15 sections • 30 lectures • Total asynchronous time 25 hours, of which about 12 hours of gameplay (using the computer simulation) • Total synchronous time 4 hours
Section 1: Introduction to the course, the role of accounting and finance in running a business (45 mins)
Section 2: Principles of accounting
Section 3: Understanding Costs, Revenues and Margins
Section 5: Testing the business feasibility: Break-Even Analysis (45 mins)
Section 6: Principles of business finance
Section 7: Understanding cash flows, profit and loss statements, and the balance sheet
Section 8: Understanding the impacts of financial decisions in a business (45 mins)
Section 9: Building a budget – OPEX and CAPEX - production budget, purchase budget, and other direct costs
Section 10: Reading and analyzing accounting and financial reports
Section 11: KPIs to assess value creation from a financial perspective(45 minutes)
Section 12: Identifying sources of funds and the life cycle of the business
Section 13: Appraising the alternatives to investing or not in a business from a financial perspective
Section 14: Final assessment
Live/synchronous – Friday
Section 15: Final feedback (45 mins)
Don't worry, you will not be left alone in your learning journey. Apart from the live sessions, our helpline to sort out any technical questions is available 24/7 during the access to the online simulation and until completion of the final assessment, so you will get all the help that you need.
Prove you're ready!
- Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a digital micro-credential.
- Create a shareable certificate link for your CV and LinkedIn.
- Impress stakeholders with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
The course starts at the beginning of each month. You will be automatically enrolled on the course starting the first week of the next month. Rescheduling is possible subject to availability.